Q. What do I have to do to get a wedding officiant license in Florida if I'm not a resident?


Florida Statute 741.07 has information on those authorized to solemnize marriage in Florida. The text of this statute is:

741.07 Persons authorized to solemnize matrimony.

(1) All regularly ordained ministers of the gospel or elders in communion with some church, or other ordained clergy, and all judicial officers, including retired judicial officers, clerks of the circuit courts, and notaries public of this state may solemnize the rights of matrimonial contract, under the regulations prescribed by law. Nothing in this section shall make invalid a marriage which was solemnized by any member of the clergy, or as otherwise provided by law prior to July 1, 1978.
(2) Any marriage which may be had and solemnized among the people called “Quakers,” or “Friends,” in the manner and form used or practiced in their societies, according to their rites and ceremonies, shall be good and valid in law; and wherever the words “minister” and “elder” are used in this chapter, they shall be held to include all of the persons connected with the Society of Friends, or Quakers, who perform or have charge of the marriage ceremony according to their rites and ceremonies.

Many Florida Clerks of Court also have marriage requirements/information on their websites.

  • Last Updated Jan 12, 2018
  • Views 12
  • Answered By Cathy (State Library of Florida)

FAQ Actions

Was this helpful? 1   0